Forget about Groundhog Day. This year, Woodchuck Hard Cider has declared February 2nd is Woodchuck Day! That sounds like a lot more fun than waiting for Punxsutawney Phil to stick his head out of a hole. Venues all over the country will be holding events, and there’s even an official Woodchuck Day badge to earn on Untappd.
We decided to celebrate in style by making 2 Woodchuck-inspired appetizers and 1 Woodchuck cocktail. And since Woodchuck Day also happens to be Super Bowl Sunday, these recipes would also be perfect for a Super Bowl party.
Woodchuck Barrel Select Old Fashioned
Makes 1 Drink
1 teaspoon sugar
2 dashes bitters
1⁄2 ounce water
1 maraschino cherry
1 orange wedge
1 ounce bourbon (we actually used Jack Daniel’s–close enough!)
1 ounce Woodchuck Private Reserve Barrel Select Cider
- In an old fashioned glass or other short glass, muddle sugar, bitters, water, cherry and orange (the back of a large spoon works well).
- Add bourbon and cider and stir.
- Add ice. Top with more cider if desired.
Pork Meatballs with Woodchuck Smoked Apple Barbecue Sauce
For the Meatballs:
2 Tablespoons Woodchuck Smoked Apple Cider
1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
1⁄4 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper
1 pound ground pork
For the Sauce:
1 tablespoon butter
1⁄2 medium onion, diced
1 1⁄2 cups Woodchuck Smoked Apple Cider
1⁄4 cup ketchup
1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Salt and pepper
To Make the Meatballs:
- Combine everything except pork in a large bowl.
- Add pork and mix with your hands until well combined.
- Shape mixture into 1-inch round balls.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook meatballs in batches for 10 minutes until well browned and cooked through.
To Make the Sauce:
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until onion is soft.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, cooking until liquid is reduced by about 1/3.
Pour sauce over meatballs and enjoy!
Woodchuck Cider Pub Cheese
2 cups shredded Cabot Extra Sharp or Seriously Sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded Colby cheese
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup Woodchuck Farmhouse Select Cider or your favorite Woodchuck cider
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons pickled jalapenos, coarsely chopped
1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Combine cheddar, Colby and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan whisk together cider and mustard. Cook over medium-high heat until boiling. Slowly add cheese mixture, a little at a time, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Remove from heat. Stir jalapenos and ground red pepper.
- Serve immediately with bread or crackers, or transfer to a 1-quart slow cooker or fondue pot.